31 January 2008

Book Note

Just received a copy of Sarah Higley's book, Hildegard of Bingen's Unknown Language - an Edition, Translation and Discussion (Palgrave MacMillan, 2007). I won't have an opportunity to actualy read it for several weeks, but skimming it this evening has been fascinating.

Hildegard of Bingen lived from 1098 to 1179 and created what might be the oldest surviving conlang. This book explores her language but also puts it into perspective by discussing a variety of language inventions from medieval times to the present. Chapter 5 is devoted in its entirety to contemporary conlangs as revealed in fora such as the Conlang list and ZBB.

The book is a little expensive but if you love books and you love invented languages, you will probably want to add it to your collection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much did it cost you? I can probably order it through my local university book shop. They are pretty good. I would like to be forewarned to the price (which will be translated to NZ$ for me and include shipping costs). Still it will be a genuine Higley for my bookshelf.

R.K.Harrison said...

Suggested retail price is US$ 74.95, I got it for about $60 plus shipping from Amazon. -RH