18 September 2010

still alive

My job has been consuming a lot of my time and energy. I was promoted to full-time status and now have access to affordable health insurance, as well as the illusion of being a member of mainstream society.

I've been developing a secret alphabet for making private notes. Endlessly fiddling with it, developing ligatures, horizontal and vertical variants, symbols that represent common words. So much effort to make my grocery list illegible to my co-workers or landlord. Sigh! If only I had some exciting secrets to conceal.

1 comment:

Michael Farris said...

I made a secret alphabet in high school and used it for years. The only restriction I gave myself was every single letter had to be made without lifting the pen until the end, nothing like i or t.

I can still read it easily about as fast as regular English writing.

I also developed my own shorthand when I was in journalism. It wasn't that efficient in some ways; if I was moderately careful it was very legible but when used for very rapid writing I had to transcribe it very soon after taking it down or it was lost. I still use it some for taking or jotting down notes.